<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14495357\x26blogName\x3dGrand+Opening+-+Grand+Closing\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7226530990051464965', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Today, Today

This morning I awoke, got myself some breakfast, enjoyed "7th Heaven" in the common room for the second day in a row (what a treat that crap-heap of a show is). I then checked the surf report (nothing much to speak of, weather just okay) and started to gather my stuff. I headed out to Bondi and made my way into the water, this time being strict with the sunscreen and wearing a hat anytime I wasn't surfing. I spent another 2 hours getting humbled by the sea, no matter how small the swell may have been, then had some lunch by the sea. What a beautiful place. It is really nice to be sitting on your board in the water, looking around at this incredible setting, this beautiful blue water and just kind of revel in it. I then hopped the bus and subway back to the hostel where I changed and headed back out to the area by the harbour bridge called "The rocks". This was once a very important of Sydney's harbor at the turn of last century, and now it holds a lot of cool old buildings, filled with Polo and Louis Vitton stores. Kind of retarded if you ask me, but a good excuse for a walk. I found Kali a little present and began the walk back to the hostel through Pitt St and the financial district, up through the fashion district and back home. Sydney is a very cool city. I know I've said it a lot, but I'd love to have some friends here and some residency, then it would be paradise. I then layed down and listened to X/O by Elliott Smith. I am so totally blown away by not only the songwriting, but the guitar playing, the piano playing and the overall production of this album. This is the album during which I saw him play about three times, once a very private show at Music Millenium on 23rd in Portland. It's this double realization I have, how incredible of an artist he was, and how it is such a horrifying loss that he's gone. Not in some cheesy way, but the sheer fact that he was perhaps one of the most skilled song writers Í've ever listened to and someone who really took the time to listen to what the Beatles were doing, and bring that into his own stuff. All of that on top of the fact that he was dealing with so much tangled up crap going on in his head is kind of amazing. It's like when you think of how the beatles did such amazing stuff just mucking about writing songs for "Magical Mystery Tour", and still, it's amazing. Well to think that he could find the clarity to create some of his music while dealing with the abyss of emotional problems he was constantly wrestling with seems equally astounding to me. Either way, Elliot Smith is amazing. Tonight I'll pack my stuff and get ready to leave for Brisbane bright and early in the morning.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4:29 PM

Elliot Smith is amazing. I hate that he is gone and I will never see him play live again. I was just searching for stuff on him today and found this. Just wanted to see what was out there with the anniversary of his death coming up and all.    



» Post a Comment