<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14495357\x26blogName\x3dGrand+Opening+-+Grand+Closing\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7226530990051464965', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

A Long Day

It'd be tough to describe how exhausted I feel right now. Last night I went out and got osme noodles, then some pints with a scottish kid from glasgow. We watched the Tottenham Spurs beat Arsenal in the pub, then I had to head back for an early night to bed. The bed is perhaps the hardest, most uncomfortable thing I've ever felt. I got up at 6:30 because of it and layed in bed finishing my second Lance Armstrong book, "Every Second Counts". I've really loved both his books and read them both in two days time. So, this morning I got up, went and got a coffee at starbucks (oh yeah they've got them here), then went and had a breakfast of "Mushroom Congee", which is basically like noodles with mushrooms, so basically the same meal for breakfast dinner and lunch. I then headed out to what I thought was Kowloon. In case you don't know, Hong Kong is a country unto itself now, and consists of a mainland (containing Kowloon), Hong Kong Island, and I think... Lantau Island (where the airport is). So Nik & Jez had spoken highly of Kowloon and the history museum. I ended up not so much in Kowlood, and more like the industrial district outside of Kowloon. I should have known not to get off at the KOWLOON station. Anyhow, I proceeded to get lost for almost 3 hours looking for "Glenville Road", until I finally bought a map (they are really ahrd to find apparently), and found GRANVILLE ROAD (stupid me) and made my way there. Although Nik & Jez said that this is where the shopping was, I found it to be unsatisfactory in the shopping department and knew I had better in Causeway Bay (part of HK Island, where I'm staying, an amazing district). SO, I went to the museum, which was good, not incredible, being from New York, I'm spoiled, but it was still very very interesting and a good use of time. I then made my way down to the water front and checked out lots of stores and saw the ferries and the harbour, before purchasing the new Cardigans album, which I'm sure is not out in the states. (Even if it was, it'd be impossibly expensive or hard to find.) I then came back and went into Hong Kong Park and made my way to the Peak Tram, which takes you up a near verticle mountain face in a cute (and really scary) little trolley, so you can see the incredible vieew of the entirety of Hong Kong from the top of the sorrounding mountains. This was wonderful, and I celebrated that fact with ice cream. I then came back down and realized I was dying, noodles and an abundance of walking and just the overall stress of being in Hong Kong was already really wearing me out. But alas, shopping. I found my way back to Causeway Bay and went into Causeway Plaza. The best way to describe this palce is like Times Square, but then you go in some small doorway and it's like 4 stories of wierd tiny hallways with tiny tiny shops that consist of like 2 racks of clothes or whatever, and there are billions of people. It's like being in a funhouse for midget asian people with great clothes and great prices. I got something like 3-4 jackets, some jeans, a t shirt and some other stuff for what amounted to $250 american dollars. Unbelievable. In NY or LA or Portland it would have cost almost 500 bucks, easy. And it's all one of a kind and really original and cool. Very cool. I then brought my loot back to the hostel and made my way out for some dinner. I sat down at a noodle spot (surprise surprise, seriously, it's all they have here) and got some deep fried chiekn noodles with two Kirin Ichibans (beer). There were some really interesting high school kids (i guess) next to me and it was interesting to watch them interact. But then something wierd happened. I asked my waiter for the check, then moments later this younger waitress girl comes over to give it to me, she looks really upset. She's just standing there holding it. I take it and get my money from my pocket, then she just really subtely starts crying. No noise, just tears, then she kind of hides her face. It was really heartbreaking. I gave her my 100 to break ($710 HKD = $100 approx) and when she came back she was still teary-eyed and upset. I gave her $30 HKD and she looked confused. The girls next to me motioned for her to take it. (They don't tip here). Maybe it was really crass to give her money, and not that much when you do the math (i didn't at the time), but I just really felt for this girl and her face was so sweet and sad. The girls next to me were discussing it, saying under their breath ("give me money"). Jokingly, I was like, "you cry, I give you money"). They then all faked crying. It was kind of funny. Anyhow, I left, and all the girls were cute and said "BYYYYEEEEE!". I walked home, bought a duffel bag for my new clothes on the way, and now I'm back. Not sure about my plans for tomorrow.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

7:47 AM

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a art website pablo picasso painting

That promotes my very good friend Mark Connors artwork that pretty much covers pablo picasso painting
articles and other related themes.
Mark's work is the produce of his passion for art, when looking at every piece the attention to detail is nothing short of spectacular and many a person will notice different details upon each viewing, they are truly a joy to observe. There are many talented artists around the world but few achieve the effect in their work as Mark does, when looking at his work that there is more than just a painting or a illustration there is a element of fantasy behind each piece that brings the inner child out of you and draws you in.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)    



7:59 AM

Hong Kong sounds like a book in action. Write that shit down. And wow, check out that Mark Connors, he seems totally interested in you personally!

Ringading.    



» Post a Comment