<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14495357\x26blogName\x3dGrand+Opening+-+Grand+Closing\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7226530990051464965', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Apocalypse Last Night

So ya know the beginning of Apocalypse Now, when Martin Sheen is all cooky and loosing his shit? Yeah, last night kinda felt like that. Checked the bank account, way less money than I anticipated seeing in there. I had to lay out the budget for my trip and I'm just not sure it's feasable. That really got me good and stressed. Then I went up to the dorm, set the alarm, tried to get to bed around 10, but then it began. The non-stop parade of each person, one by one, into the room, the light flipped on, tons of noise, tons of ridiculousness. It killed me, from 10pm to about 1am, I'd almost fall asleep, only to have one of the 10 other people in the room come in, just to get something from their bag, or to get ready for the shower, or for bed, or any of that, and each time it woke me up. I've always had trouble getting back to bed after being woken up, so this was especially obnoxious for me, especially cause I had to catch a plane at 6:30am. Anyways, I got so stressed about getting woken up, and I think the money situation really helped, that I had to get up and go for a walk twice, just to kind of breath and come back to try and sleep again. It was killing me. Anyways, I got up and caught my plane and made it to Brisbane where I was shafted again by the local transportation companies. They had me pay for a return ticket, only to find out that the return train doesn't run early enough to get me back to the airport for my 6am flight on monday morning, so that's 15 bucks down the toilet, and another 20 I'll have to spend on a special taxi. Arg. Anyways, I got to the hostel, and it's really beautiful. Brisbane, is a crap hole, as previously said by anyone I told I was coming here. BUT, I sat down at the travel desk and quickly decided to bypass my previous idea of going out to North Stradbroke Island to surf. It was a 2 1/2 hour trip, via 4 transfers and all public transport. Instead, I decided that debt is debt, lets get the credit card out, don't be stupid, but you're only in australia once, you need to enjoy this. I was letting the financial aspect really ruin my time thus far, especially last night and this morning. I rented a car for 56 bucks Australian, a steal really, and I'm gonna spend tomorrow driving (ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD! YIKES!) down the gold coast, touring ALL the surf spots and beautiful beaches and scenery. That's so much better than the previous plan. And all for only 80 bucks australian after petrol. This may just turn out to be one of the more outstanding oppurtunities I've had while here. Ah how the world turns. (knock on wood) Now I'm gonna go scope the pool, and apparently the bar here (cause brisbane is such a heap) is like THE place in town, and will be rocking. I guess that's good news, again, don't think about the money, spend spend enjoy enjoy think later. Only bad news is, the girls here are very UN-Sydney-like. We're back to the snaggle-toothed, bad hair-having, witch-nosed red heads I had expected upon arrival. Eitherway, less distraction.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2:34 AM

careful keegan, i rented a car in ireland that was stick and found it surprisingly easy to get used to driving on the left side of the road and using my left hand to switch gears.

what turned out to be hard was judging how far away from the left hand curb you are because you are so used to just being right next to it. this resulted in a scary collision with a curb for katz and i and a 45 minute tire changing debacle/good story. not to mention 60 euros on his dads credit card for a replacement.

happy trails    



8:01 AM

Hey, nice going. All the discomforts of being in constant flux channeled into the right way to milk this current opportunity. Within reason, the dollars will take care of themselves but the experience is still priceless.    



» Post a Comment