<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14495357\x26blogName\x3dGrand+Opening+-+Grand+Closing\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7226530990051464965', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

All Sorts Of Events

So following my surf lesson the other day, I really took advantage of the rest of my time. I hiked up to KiteKite (kitty kitty) falls, then also made a hike up Lion Rock, the large, towering rock at the center of Piha beach. Both of these hikes were needless to say, wonderful. I then had the pleasure of meeting a brilliant English couple who I've spent the majority of the last two days with. They sold their house, they are roughly 35, and have bought "around-the-world" tickets and have been travelling since December. They have all sorts of amazing stories, and we get along very well. They got a surfing lesson from Phil for yesterday and I rode nearby. I finally got some pop-ups and rode out some vicious white water and small breaks on the terrifying beach here. Either way, my confidence is up and my excitement for learning is back after a couple days of humbling dissapointment. Yesterday, after surfing Nik and Jez and I road into the nearest town (20 minutes) named Henderson to get some cash and groceries and beer. Henderson is a very cool town and I had the pleasure of hearing a song that will hopefully remind me of my time in Piha and Auckland. It's a song called "Too Young" by a band called "Phoenix", very cool. We then came back to the house and prepared dinner and met our two new lodge-mates. One of them was a woman named "Biggie" who was very German and only spoke some sorted english. She will factor into this story in a bit. We finished up our meal and decided to head down to the R.S.A. which is a sort of Rotary or Elk's Lodge where all the locals hang out. We walked down there and had drinks, watched some cricket and talked. I started to notice more and more that this "Biggie" character was sending some troublesome "vibes" in my general direction. She kept inviting me out onto the porch while she would smoke. The first time I was like "wonderful, interesting german person, conversation will be delightful". After the second and third time, and after she let me in on the fact that she had come to New Zealand engaged, and was no longer engaged, I decided I should let Nik and Jez know that "trouble was a' brewin'". So for the rest of the evening, this "Biggie" girl, who was like maybe 30 mind you, would approach me or start to talk and Nicky or Jesse would serve as a buffer, coming along on any sort of trip outside or any of that. Anyhow... I later excused myself and went off to bed. Well, get a load of this amazing crap... I awake in the middle of the night, to Biggie at my bedside, and she's asking me "You want me to sleep in your bunk?" And in a moment of half-asleep genius I reply "Oh, no, I'm good." (I sounded as if she had asked me if I wanted a cup of tea) Now, this may sound somewhat standard, but imagine that crazy German accent and it all seems a bit surreal. Anyways, then she says "Do you want cordials?" (which in crazy euro-speak means cocktails or drinks) I say, again a half-asleep genius "Ahhhh, nah.... I'm good. Thanks though..." She says "Oh, okay, sorry to wake you..." I give a nod and slowly turn into the fetal position and begin fearing for my life. Perhaps Germans don't take rejection well. Maybe rejection leads to beheading in some cases. Better safe then sorry. Either way, wild....

Today I leave Piha, sadly, and go into Auckland for two days before leaving for Sydney and Brisbane. Good news is, Nik and Jez will be in Fiji when I am there as well, and hopefully we can meet up again, sans the german who awakes you in the night to proposition sex.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

5:31 PM

i have that phoenix song. only it reminds me of driving to a gas station to get coke with katz in north carolina. not as cool.

i hope you wake up one night in the house here and biggie is rubbing your feet    



» Post a Comment