<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14495357\x26blogName\x3dGrand+Opening+-+Grand+Closing\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7226530990051464965', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

2. Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs



I remember looking through some pictures at my grandparents house when I was younger. They were of my parents, aunts, and uncles, probably circa the late 60's early 70's. And wow did they seem embarrassing at the time. Who would ever wear their hair like that I wondered. My god those pants are hideous I thought. The closest I've come (I think) to providing such fodder for my future children, nieces, and nephews was my involvement in the neo-swing movement of the late 90's. Neo-swing, what a bad idea. I would insist that I was a fan of bands like Royal Crown Revue and The Squirrel Nut Zippers, who were creating complicated serious music that owed debt to the swing bands of paste, rather than the cartoony caricatures of swing music like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry Poppin' Daddies that briefly flooded the mainstream culture. In any case. There may be some embarrassing pictures. So to do this day I can't listen to the Squirrel Nut Zippers (although they probably never deserved to be lumped in with other 'neo swing' bands) without grimacing a little. I had a similar reaction to early Andrew Bird, when Aaron introduced me to him several years ago (Andrew Bird played in The Squirrel Nut Zippers for a bit). Additionally I felt like his music was style over substance. He was clearly a talented musician. I wasn't questioning his craft, but it seemed like he was perhaps hiding behind this sort of stylized sound swing/jazz sound, afraid to get personal. However, to his great credit Bird has evolved immensely. Moving away from the Zippers nouveau swing to the more original and distinctive sound, that his work now bears. He's stripped away any artifice, recording his last two albums in a barn in Western Illinois with only a few musicians, and so on both stark "Weather Systems" and now on "Mysterious Production of Eggs" we're left primarily with his voice and virtuoso violin work. It's exciting to watch an artist mature and evolve. In fact this the one album that we seem to universally like. Marc loves Weather Systems and thinks that "he'll have much trouble topping that album as it may just be one of the top ten best albums ever (Marc provides us with our daily dose of hyperbole) however, he does a bang up job trying." It seems this one album Aaron has heard has confidently throws done this assessment " What we have here is my favorite album of the year so far. Andrew Bird has been great since the beginning, but it's still amazing how much his sound has evolved. I think he's also grown as a performer. I've seen him a few times now and last time I was blown away. In any case, this is the only album I feel really strongly about that's come out this year." Keegan too is a fan declaring the album to be "Outstanding. Patient, beautiful, subtle and the fulfillment of a huge amount of talent." Finally, one wonders what does Chad think? Chad while he would probably prefer to be listening to the Doves is willing to concede that this album is "good stuff". So is this album indeed fantastic. Listen to "Sovay" the albums second track, by clicking on the link below.

listen to sovay
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6:40 PM

the only song i ever listen to on this one is "nervous tic motion," but i listen to that song A LOT.    



» Post a Comment