<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14495357\x26blogName\x3dGrand+Opening+-+Grand+Closing\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://grandopening-grandclosing.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7226530990051464965', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1. Sufjan Stevens - Come On Feel The Illinoise



When I have to make lists of what music I like, I tend to base it largely on what I've listened to the most as I feel like that's the most honest way to assess how i feel. So that I'm not swayed by what I think I should like, or what I wish I liked. Based on that criteria. Sufjan Steven's new album is my clear cut number one album of the first half of the year. Marc agrees, as it tops his list as well. Marc is a Sufjan Stevens fan of such passion that he'll not hesitate to correct anyone who mispronounces his first name. So when he says "Best one yet." It's not to be taken lightly. He continues "Unlike Coldplay, Sufjan seems a sure thing to not disappoint. Shows us he could write about anything and make it soar with tracks like John Wayne Gacy, Jr. This album is clearly #1 in 2005 without a fight, and I just don't see anything on the horizon contending to take its place. Keegan has mostly praise for it as well "This album signals the only songwriter to really take a brave step into the larger shoes of an elliot smith type. This album eclipses ALL his others, is worth a thousand listens, and is timeless, despite the fact that the instrumental interludes are too many and too long." For reason they don't specifically articulate Aaron and Chad, are to varying degrees a bit less enthusiastic about this one. Aaron offers this, "Yeah, yeah. Sufjan Stevens. I don't know what to say about this. It is good and I did vote for it as my second favorite of the year, but fuck, it's not THAT good. I find myself skipping around to a few songs when I listen to it. I think I've listened to it as an album only once. This deserves to be on a top ten list for sure, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it was number 8 or 9." So Aaron feels uncomfortable with it topping the list. Chad must really feel uncomfortable with it being perched at number one as he has this to say,"If you guys stopped fighting over who got to suck Sufjan's dick for five seconds you'd realize the album is just alright". Well Chad I think this album is more than alright. For me this is the one album I've heard all year that's not afraid to think big. That said Sufjan Stevens is at his biggest and best when he writes songs that are simple, personal, and narrative, that take advantage of his talent as a writer of prose, it's then that you feel his heart is really in it, that he really means it. Songs such as "Casimir Pulaski Day" about a girl dying of bone cancer or "The Predatory Wasp". Even in his larger more sprawling songs such as "Chicago" the moments that resonate the most are the personal details he adds such as the line " I was crying the van". The albums not perfect. I'd agree with Keegan that there's too much filler. I think Stevens sometimes has a tendency to be a little cute, as he demonstrates with coordinated outfits he and his band member out fits insist on wearing during his live shows. But this is a big, bold, grand, sweeping, moving record, and it deserves to be celebrated. Click on the link below to listen to "Casimir Pulaski Day".

listen to casimir pulaski day
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6:42 PM

The only thing i really like about Sufjan is when he plays back up for Danielson. I guess i don't really dig a lot of these albums. Sorry dudes. Look forward to your off the beaten picks manyana.    



12:50 PM

Sufjan Stevens? That's better than fucking myself in my own vagina! Thank you SO much Suffie. I love listening to this on the way to my ballet class cause i'm a LITTLE FUCKING GIRL.    



10:41 AM

Andre...is....amazing.    



» Post a Comment